Charlotte hit with second night of unrest after police shooting

Charlotte hit with second night of unrest after police shooting

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Sept 21 (Reuters) – One person was shot dead on Wednesday in a second night of unrest in Charlotte, North Carolina, officials said, as police in riot gear fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse a demonstration against the fatal police shooting of a black man who officers said had refused their orders to drop a handgun.

Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney confirmed the fatality, but he did not identify the person nor did he say whether they were participating in the protests.

The latest trouble began with a peaceful rally that turned violent after several hundred demonstrators marched through downtown with brief stops at a black church, police headquarters and a large entertainment venue called the EpiCentre.

See photos from the protests:

As they approached downtown Charlotte’s central intersection, protesters confronted a column of patrol cars and officers lining the road about a block from the Omni Charlotte Hotel, and began to surround groups of police and their vehicles.

At that point, police unleashed volleys of rubber bullets, tear gas and flash-bang grenades to disperse the protesters, who began hurling fireworks and debris at officers outside the hotel.

Protesters were also seen looting a convenience store after smashing its windows.

Sixteen officers were injured late on Tuesday and early Wednesday as police in riot gear clashed with demonstrators who hurled stones, set fires and briefly blocked an interstate highway.

“We are tired of people, especially police, killing our black men,” Blanche Penn, a longtime community activist, said at Wednesday evening’s rally, where the mood began as resolute but peaceful. “Charlotte has always been quiet. But now it’s time to be loud.”

Widely differing accounts of Tuesday’s shooting emerged the next day. Police said Keith Scott, 43, was armed and ignoring officers’ orders when he was gunned down, while the victim’s family and a witness said he was holding a book, not a weapon.

Authorities have not released any video of the incident, but the city’s mayor said they plan to.

Scott’s wife, Rakeyia, issued a statement describing her family as “devastated” and appealing for calm, adding, “we have more questions than answers about Keith’s death.”

Tuesday’s disturbances in Charlotte unfolded as demonstrators in Tulsa, Oklahoma, demanded the arrest of a police officer seen in video last week fatally shooting an unarmed black man who had his hands in clear view at the time.

The deaths were the latest incidents to raise questions of racial bias in U.S. law enforcement, and they stoked a national debate on policing ahead of the presidential election in November. President Barack Obama spoke by telephone on Wednesday with the mayors of Charlotte and Tulsa, a White House official said. (Additional reporting by Lenzy Krehbiel-Burton in Tulsa, Okla., Colleen Jenkins in Winston-Salem, N.C., Emily Flitter in Cleveland, Amanda Becker in Orlando, Fla., and Gina Cherelus and Laila Kearney in New York; Writing by Jon Herskovitz and Daniel Wallis; Editing by James Dalgleish and Alan Crosby)

Bar Refaeli poses in lingerie less than 6 weeks after giving birth — see the pic

Bar Refaeli poses in lingerie less than 6 weeks after giving birth — see the pic

Bar Refaeli is one hot mama!

The 31-year-old model took to Instagram on Wednesday to prove she’s still got it — less than six weeks after welcoming daughter Liv.

RELATED: Bar Refaeli Gives Birth to Baby Girl

“MoM,” she captioned a snap of herself striking a pose in sexy lingerie.

While this appears to be the first time Refaeli has stepped back into her modeling shoes since becoming a mother, she certainly wasn’t shy throughout her pregnancy.

RELATED: Bar Refaeli Posts Bikini-Clad Pool Pic Just 3 Weeks After Giving Birth

“You can come out now .. I’m ready. And heavy,” she wrote alongside a bikini-clad shot of herself in late July.

“Do Not Distrub,” she captioned another snap just weeks earlier.

RELATED: Bar Refaeli Shows Off Bare Baby Bump, Wonders If Binge-Watching ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Will Make Her Daughter Want to Be a Doctor

Refaeli and husband Adi Ezra welcomed their baby girl on Aug. 11. See more about the Israeli model’s pregnancy in the video below.

Mysterious blob catching people off guard in Stockton

Mysterious blob catching people off guard in Stockton

STOCKTON, Calif. (KTXL) — Nancy Ballot frequently comes out to the dock behind her North Stockton home to observe nature.

“I’m an outdoor-type person, and this type of year you get a lot of waterfowl that are coming in,” Ballot said.

But about two weeks ago, she was caught off guard by what she found in Quail Lake, which flows into the Delta.

“I came out with my binoculars to look and out of the corner of my eye I saw something that caught my attention, so I look down. I said that is incredible! And it was obviously alive,” Ballot said.

See images of the mysterious creature:

The retired biology teacher and Sierra Club member had never seen anything like this.

“It was about that big, it was like two mounds but they were attached,” she said.

She snapped photos of the strange-looking organism.

After asking around, she was told what she found was a Magnificent Bryozoan.

“It’s just something that floats around in the lake, and they are not native to this area,” Ballot said.

She’s not the only one to spot one recently.

Blair Hake sent FOX40 images of what he assumes to be a Magnificent Bryozoan found in the Delta last week.

According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the invertebrates survive and grow in warm waters and can reach up to seven feet in diameter.

Ballot isn’t too worried about the foreign creatures.

“Oh to me its just interest!” she said.

But out of curiosity, she’s been on the lookout for more ever since.

Marion Cotillard tosses Brad Pitt rumors out with Instagram post

Marion Cotillard tosses Brad Pitt rumors out with Instagram post

LOS ANGELES — Marion Cotillard is shutting down rumors that she is the cause of the Brangelina break-up.

The actress posted on Instagram Wednesday to “speak up” following a media frenzy after Angelina Jolie filed for divorce from Brad Pitt.

“This is going to be my first and only reaction to the whirlwind news that broke 24 hours ago and that I was swept up into,” she wrote. “I am not used to commenting on things like this nor taking them seriously but as this situation is spiraling and affecting people I love, I have to speak up.”

Cotillard has been in a relationship with French actor Gulliame Canet since 2007. The couple have a son, Marcel.

However, following the divorce news, a handful of rumors surfaced speculating why Brangelina called it quits. One suggested Pitt and Cotillard had an off-camera affair, just like Pitt and Jolie did on the set of their first film together Mr. and Mrs. Smith (also a spy film).

The New York Post reported Jolie hired a private detective who claimed to have uncovered Pitt’s affair with Cotillard.

“Firstly, many years ago, I met the man of my life, father of our son and of the baby we are expecting,” Cotillard said, simultaneously announcing her pregnancy. “He is my love, my best friend, the only one that I need.”

She then went on to bash those who have speculated about her feelings concerning Pitt and Jolie’s relationship.

“Secondly to those who have indicated that I am devastated, I am very well thank you,” she wrote.

“Finally, I do very much wish that Angelina and Brad, both whom I deeply respect, will find peace in this very tumultuous moment,” she added.

Her Instagram post comes just one day after the break-up was announced.

It also follows the release of a trailer for Paramount Pictures’ spy movie Allied, which stars Pitt and Cotillard. It has been viewed more than 3 million times in the last day.

Here’s Cotillard’s post in its entirety:

Kaskade calls out LA Times for hyping rave deaths

Kaskade calls out LA Times for hyping rave deaths


No one has done more to publicly combat dance music’s reputation as a drug-fueled culture than Kaskade.

He starred in that URB Ecstasy PSA in 2013. He is open about his own sobriety. Now, he’s taken to his blog to call out what he sees as an unfair stigma associated with dance music, particularly in reaction to a report from the LA Timesblaming HARD’s decision not to host Day of the Dead this year on drug overdoses that occurred during HARD Summer 20116.

Kaskade to Be First Dance Music Headliner at Los Angeles Convention Center

“Let’s not pretend this is an isolated problem, something unique to dance music culture,” Kaskade writes. “According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, every day in America 27 (TWENTY-SEVEN!) people die as a result of drunk driving crashes. That’s more than one person, per hour, every single day.”

See more photos of Kaskade

While the LA Times refers to the unfortunate passing of recent revelers as “summer of death,” Kaskade chastises the publication for being sensationalist and oversimplifying a complex issue.

Kaskade Gets Tribal With Too Many Zooz on ‘Jorts FTW’

“I’m happy to tackle substance abuse,” he continues. “I’m happy to use my influence to encourage people to be responsible, to stay alive. But this is a world-wide problem, something that is not even close to being unique to dance music. Part of the problem is people trying to simple-size it. Raves = drugs. So close them down.”

Read Kaskade’s full post on his website.

Billboard Dance has reached out to the LA Times for comment.